NeSI is committed to building computational capability and sharing training expertise within New Zealand’s research communities. We collaborate with research organisations across the country to deliver and develop digital skills training for their staff and students.
The NeSI Training team includes specialists in research software engineering, data science, and application support. Through our support of research projects and collaboration with international training and research communities, NeSI is working to develop learning pathways for the wider community that are sustainable and scalable within NeSI's existing and budding training partnerships.
Our training efforts focus on:
- HPC-specific training
- Software Carpentry and Data Carpentry workshops
- Software and Data Carpentry Instructor Training
Looking to build your skills?
- NeSI's YouTube channel has a Traning Webinars playlist
- We host weekly introductory sessions to help you get started on the NeSI HPC platform
- Check out NeSI's event listings to see what other training events we've got planned in the coming months.
Planning a training event at your campus or institution?
- We created this useful Workshop Training Plan to assist training event organisers
- Check out these tips for hosting a successful online event
NeSI is a Platinum Partner of The Carpentries, an internationally successful and recognised programme that teaches foundational coding and data science skills to researchers. NeSI Research Communities Advisor Megan Guidry is also a Carpentries Regional Coordinator for New Zealand and she completed her Carpentries Instructor Training certification in late 2020.
The pool of active Carpentries trainers in New Zealand remains healthy at four trainers, enabling the bi-yearly Carpentries Instructor Training course to continue to be run by New Zealand community members for New Zealand community members. To learn more about becoming a Carpentries Instructor, you can read about one of our past Instructor Training events here.
NeSI's focus is on the sustainability and scalability of the training programmes NeSI leads. We are committed to developing a pool of certified Carpentries Instructors in New Zealand in order to enable research organisations to build internal training capacity and address their community needs for computational research skills.
Upcoming Training Events
- Subscribe to the NeSI training mailing list to stay updated about future training opportunities.
Questions / More Information
We would love to discuss your training needs with you. To express interest in either participating in or hosting some training, email email@example.com.