Secure and easy data sharing
Research data delivery network
Take advantage of our partnering institutions with existing data delivery network nodes. Transfer to and from any laptop or server using a Globus connect endpoint. See the list of NZ data transfer nodes and learn how to configure personal Globus endpoint.
Is it for me?
Do you have large datasets that need transferred between collaborators or from an instrument to NeSI's computational environment? NIWA climate scientist Dr Jonny Williams sent 11 terabytes in 24 hours to research counterparts in the UK.
Contrary to what you might expect, there are no major challenges involved in a data transfer this big. It’s dead easy, says Jonny. So much so that he didn’t give the size of the transfer a second thought. That’s all down to the quality of the specialist REANNZ network, as well as NeSI's data transfer platform and Globus software used to send and receive data.
Read more from this REANNZ case study.
Here's another case study that highlights moving of 100 terabytes of data between USA, NeSI, and Dunedin.
The researchers had to get up to 100 terabytes of data from the United States, send it in chunks for processing at a NeSI supercomputer in Auckland, then get the results back to Dunedin, says David Maclaurin... Read more
Get started now
- To transfer data to and from NeSI’s HPC platform, you need to have an active research project on NeSI. Apply now to start using NeSI to support your research, or read more about our High Performance Computing and Analytics service.
- Browse and set up the endpoints you wish to move files to and from. View a list of the NeSI Data Transfer platform endpoints here.
- Configure your laptop, desktop computer or any other system you control as a Globus Personal Endpoint.
- Learn more about Globus paths, permissions, and storage allocations.
- Have other questions or need help? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We currently have five managed endpoints linking New Zealand institutions to Globus’ worldwide network of other Data Transfer Nodes (DTNs), with more coming online in New Zealand by the end of 2021 and discussions in progress with partners in Australia
- 10Gbps maximum speed via REANNZ network
- Your project folders and nobackup folders are accessible via Globus
- Our web interface provides simple drag and drop interface to initiate transfers across nodes across the globe.
- Globus CLI (Command line interface) also provides you with ability to automate complicated workflows via scripts.
Delivering this national scientific Data Transfer platform is a collaborative effort, involving participation from national network provider REANNZ, international partner Globus, several innovative research institutions across New Zealand, NeSI collaborators — the University of Auckland, the University of Otago, Manaaki Whenua - Landcare Research, NIWA — and support from the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.
For an overview of the national Data Transfer Platform and an introductory demo of how to use Globus to transfer data, watch our video below, delivered as a webinar in May 2019:
Join our worldwide network
If you are an institutional representative and would like to join Globus’ worldwide network of institutional endpoints, NeSI can help. Talk to us to set up a Globus Data Transfer Node (DTN) at your institution.
Data transfer and share is just one of the ways NeSI is supporting New Zealand’s research sector. Click here to learn about our other services and resources or contact email@example.com to discuss further.