Data Analytics Specialist
Who we are
The New Zealand eScience Infrastructure (NeSI) is a collaboration of four institutions, including the University of Otago, working in partnership with the Crown, providing High Performance Computing (HPC), data analytics and consultancy services to the NZ Research sector, Government Initiatives/Agencies and Industrial Research. NeSI’s primary aim is to grow the computing and analytics capability of researchers to ensure New Zealand’s future prosperity.
Significant research outcomes have resulted from the use of NeSI platforms and services across numerous scientific domains including health sciences, chemistry, biochemistry and physics to name a few. Researchers increasingly depend on advanced data analytics capabilities to achieve their goals, and NeSI is at the forefront of this innovation.
About the role
This role represents a unique opportunity to work within New Zealand’s National eScience Infrastructure (NeSI), to lead its new data analytics capability. As part of a collaborative national team, you will get a unique chance to design and build new data analytics services for research teams around the country.
You will spend your time expertly developing, optimising, testing and maintaining data science / analytics codes, data visualisation solutions, and various database environments. You will make a major contribution to strategies and plans to deliver new NeSI data analytics services, for the national research community.
The position will be based at the University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand within the ITS Division, but you will be working as part of a national NeSI team. There will be a requirement to travel on occasion.
Skills and Experience
• M.Sc. in Statistics or Computer Science or equivalent qualifications in a related discipline, (PhD. Preferred).
• A good understanding of statistical analysis methods.
• Strong programming skills using languages such as Python, C/C++, Java, Fortran.
• Unix command line and Unix shell programming (e.g. bash/csh).
• Some knowledge of analysis software (e.g. R, IDL, SAS, Matlab) and data analytics environments.
• Some knowledge and experience with data presentation and visualization tools.
• Database design and programming (e.g. SQL Server, PostGreS, MySQL, Oracle, NoSQL).
• Software engineering tools and utilities (e.g. IDE’s, source control, issue management, build, testing, and design tools).
This is a full-time, fixed term position for 12 months.
This is a great chance to work for a friendly and capable national group, committed to high performance computing best practices and excellence, and ongoing staff training.
Specific enquiries may be directed to Dave Maclaurin, Systems Services Manager / NeSI Site Manager (Otago), using these contact details: Dave Maclaurin, Tel: 03 479 6545