Job opportunity: NIWA / NeSI seeking a Systems Engineer
NeSI and NIWA have an exciting opportunity to make direct contributions to New Zealand's research sector and offer front-line support for researchers using our national platform of high performance computing (HPC) systems. NIWA is seeking an an experienced Systems Engineer to join its Wellington office.
NIWA is a dynamic research organisation whose purpose is to enhance the economic value and sustainable management of New Zealand's marine and freshwater resources. NeSI is a collaboration of five institutions including NIWA, working in partnership with the Crown providing High Performance Computing (HPC), analytics and consultancy services to the NZ research sector, Government agencies and industries.
A key component of NIWA's research infrastructure is the High Performance Computing Facility (HPCF), which is used to support research activities in climate, chemistry climate, weather, river flood, sea state, ocean, sea-level, and inundation modelling and forecasting, as well as an operational environmental forecasting system (EcoConnect). Within NeSI, the system also supports the High-Performance Computing (HPC) requirements of researchers within the national research community. The core HPC platforms have recently been refreshed with the deployment of a capacity cluster (HPE/Cray CS400 and CS500) and capability supercomputer (HPE/Cray XC50) in a tightly integrated design sharing core high-performance filesystems, nearline storage, and related operational infrastructure.
Role and key activities
You will support and further develop an HPC infrastructure and platform which delivered a wide range of services. You will help to ensure the delivery of a flexible and robust computational environment for scientific research whilst maintaining a stable platform for delivery of NIWA operations and NeSI's business systems. Our team is trusted to build the systems that run our newest cutting edge platforms that power the New Zealand research community.
As part of a small, ambidextrous team, your role will at times necessitate working on all key components of NIWA/NeSI's HPC platforms, and as such there are significant professional development opportunities available for the right candidate.
- A recognised relevant tertiary qualification, e.g., in computing and/or other sciences.
- At least five years' experience in the operation, and implementation of services based on Linux and/or Unix, preferably with some having been mission-critical services.
- Familiarity with Python.
- Understanding of container technologies and related management of Container-as-a-Service.
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Experience applying CI/CD tools and techniques to the management of infrastructure (Ansible, Jenkins, etc) and DevOps methodologies.
- Excellence in troubleshooting, root cause analysis and a cool head in the face of a technical problems and challenges.
NIWA offers competitive remuneration and benefits, an attractive waterfront and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, national, and professional team.
To view the full job posting, please visit:
Wednesday 08 April