New Zealand eScience Infrastructure (NeSI) is a collaboration of five institutions, including the National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA), working in partnership with the Crown, to provide High Performance Computing (HPC), analytics, and consultancy services to the NZ Research sector, and industry. NeSI's primary aim is to grow the computing and analytics capability of researchers to ensure New Zealand's future prosperity.
This position is based with NIWA - the leading environmental research institute and key provider of atmospheric, freshwater and marine research and consultancy services in New Zealand. NIWA's High Performance Computing Facility is a key component of NeSI infrastructure and is used to support both NIWA and NeSI research activities.
NeSI's Solutions Architect role offers an application and team leadership position to a strategically minded and hands-on technologist. This is an exciting opportunity to make a significant contribution to the New Zealand research landscape by working within the National eScience Infrastructure (NeSI).
You will design and organise the development and testing of integration and collaboration software systems that meet the requirements of NeSI's internal and external customers, are architecturally sound, developed to a professional standard, and delivered on time and within budget, in a form that is reliable, flexible, and maintainable.
This include federated single sign on management identities, websites for user self-service and administration, management reporting tools with data pulled from HPC platform and new search engine. It provides a challenging and interesting opportunity to develop innovative solutions for the installation of the new NeSI supercomputer.
Our successful applicant will have:
- At least 5 years' experience working as a Solution Application Architect.
- Demonstrated experience in the application of architecture frameworks, System development life cycle and Application Development methodologies.
- Experience in 'Solutions Design' and successful implementation of complex business solutions within a large, enterprise IT environment.
- Experience in leadership and in the facilitation of group planning and design activities.
- An ability to interpret business requirements by defining needs and recommended solutions.
- Sound understanding of Web-based systems architecture and Web API's for integration purposes.
- Hands-on expertise in some of the following technologies: Python, Java/J2EE, including SOAP or RESTful, and related technologies (JSON, XML, etc), Common frameworks such as struts, spring, hibernate, etc. and Database technologies (MySQL, PostGres, JDBC).
NeSI values leadership that emphasizes a culture of partnership, demonstrates character and professionalism, and is focused on delivering customer centric solutions, in NeSI's context as a national infrastructure and service provider.
NIWA offers competitive remuneration and benefits, an attractive waterfront location with free parking and the opportunity to work in a collaborative and professional group.