Job opportunity: Platform Systems Engineer - NIWA
We are seeking a Platform Systems Engineer to join the NeSI and NIWA (National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research) teams. The Platform Systems Engineer will help to identify and deliver solutions for automated deployment and monitoring, research data self-management, and self-healing and automated reporting capabilities to Cloud-Native, Hybrid-Cloud and traditional HPC compute and data infrastructure environments.
Interested candidates must apply online by 07 May 2023 to be considered.
What we're looking for:
NIWA's Research Computing and Data Platforms team is responsible for ensuring that NIWA and NeSI's research computing infrastructure, platforms, and associated services are operating reliably, efficiently, and are effective at meeting the needs of end-users and stakeholders. The Platform Systems Engineer is an integral part of this team.
- Based in Wellington, New Zealand
- Permanent, full-time (37.5 hours per week)
- $110,000-$130,000 depending on skills and experience
What you will bring (required):
- At least three years' experience in the design, specification, implementation, and operation of services based on Linux and/or Unix, preferably with some having been mission-critical services.
- Previous experience with HPC platforms, HPC interconnects/fabrics, IBM Spectrum Scale (GPFS), IBM Spectrum Protect, Slurm, Bright Cluster Manager and database administration would be advantageous, as would experience with data management and system integration services.
- General knowledge in multi architecture Infrastructures.
- Data lifecycle management and system integration services.
- Complex monitoring and alerting systems.
- IP/RDMA based Networks communication.
- Excellence in troubleshooting, root cause analysis, and automated testing.
Desired skills and experience:
- Experience with other parallel file systems (e.g., Lustre).
- Automation experience applying CI/CD tools and techniques to the management of infrastructure (Ansible, Jenkins, etc.) and leveraging DevOps methodologies.
- Experience deploying OCI compliant (Docker, Singularity) containerized applications on Kubernetes, EKS, AKS.
- Prior experience with Cloud-Native or Hybrid-Cloud HPC systems.
- Experience in management and deployment of OpenStack based infrastructure and services.
- Up-to-date knowledge of public cloud resources and design patterns (e.g., in AWS, Azure, or GCP)
We don't expect candidates will meet every point referenced in the position description but if you think you have what it takes, please still get in touch!
NIWA offers competitive remuneration and benefits, an attractive waterfront location and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, national, and professional team.
NIWA offers flexible working options (e.g., part-time, flexible start and finish times). We are happy to discuss potential flexible options for this position at the interview stage.
NIWA promotes the importance and value of an inclusive and diverse workforce, including the Rainbow Community, and we pride ourselves on being a family-friendly and supportive workplace.
Interested candidates must apply online by 07 May 2020 to be considered for this role.