Job opportunity: Researcher Support Specialist based at Manaaki Whenua
Do you want to be part of a national team of bright, motivated people who support researchers in making a difference to the quality of life and economic well-being of New Zealand? NeSI and Manaaki Whenua Landcare Research are looking for a Researcher Support Specialist, someone who is passionate about applying their expertise in science computing to make a significant contribution to the New Zealand research landscape.
While employed by and based at Manaaki Whenua, a Crown Research Institute, this is a permanent and full-time national position within the NeSI distributed team.
Applications must be submitted online by 5pm NZT on Monday 28 March 2022 to be considered.
About the opportunity
The Researcher Support Specialist role is a national specialist who provides front-line incident and service request support to researchers (installing, porting, testing, and troubleshooting science codes, machine and service access, job submissions and workflows).
In this role you will:
- advise researchers on how to apply for and access infrastructure and services, including assisting with their workflow development and software needs;
- help plan and run workshops and training courses;
- provide a friendly and responsive experience working with researchers across a variety of domains and levels of computational expertise.
You will be a member of the Informatics team at Manaaki Whenua. This team recognises that digital technologies are changing not only our science but also the way science interacts with society, business, and governments. Your participation in the NeSI collaboration will be vital in helping Manaaki Whenua use its science to improve the quality of life and economic well-being of New Zealand.
- This role requires an in-depth awareness and understanding of scientific programming.
- You have a relevant tertiary qualification such as a bachelor or postgraduate degree in computer science with STEM subjects or related disciplines.
- You are curious and innovative, excited about learning and pushing technical limits, and a strong analytical thinker with excellent problem-solving skills. You thrive in a flexible work environment, equally comfortable working on your own or as part of a collaborative team distributed across the country.
- You are comfortable balancing queries coming in through the support desk with more externally focussed tasks, meeting with researchers, contributing to training and workshops, synthesising researcher needs into requirements and providing subject matter expertise into cross-functional service development efforts.
- You have an interest or background in science. Expertise in growing application areas such as genomics or data-science would be a bonus.
What we offer
As an employee of Manaaki Whenua Landcare Research, you will work towards a rewarding vision with passionate and talented people in a caring and family friendly environment. You will enjoy a flexible working environment; good staff benefits and the opportunity for personal growth and career development.
How to apply
Apply online by 5pm NZT on Monday 28 March 2022.
Enquiries about the position may be directed to Mandy James, email@example.com. For further details about Manaaki Whenua Landcare Research, watch this short clip: Manaaki Whenua and visit the Manaaki Whenua website: www.landcareresearch.co.nz.