Job opportunity: Data Scientist / Data Science Engineer
NeSI and NIWA are seeking a data scientist or data science engineer to work closely with researchers from a wide range of disciplines such as social, biological, environmental, biomedical and materials science and engineering.
The position involves advising and assisting researchers with processing and analysing their datasets efficiently on the advanced HPC platforms and helping them build and optimise complex data pipelines, models, and workflows. You will represent NIWA and NeSI as data science authorities in national and international communities.
- You need a recognized tertiary qualification in statistics, mathematics, data science or other relevant disciplines and strong skills in machine learning/deep learning
- You will need experience with developing data science applications, preferably in a research environment
- You will be an expert in a scripting language, such as Python or R, and interested in learning new skills, tools and methods
- You will need experience with Linux and working on HPC or data analytics platforms
You will need to be well organised and have good communication skills, and you should be comfortable operating in a team environment. You will also need tenacity to persevere with difficult tasks and remain results oriented, with good customer focus.
Location / term:
- Position will be based at NIWA in Wellington, New Zealand
- Permanent, full-time, working jointly for NIWA and NeSI, but hosted by NIWA
NIWA offers competitive remuneration and benefits and an attractive waterfront location in Wellington.
View the posting and apply online via the Science New Zealand website.
NIWA is a dynamic research organisation whose purpose is to enhance the economic value and sustainable management of New Zealand's marine and freshwater resources, to provide understanding of climate and atmospheric state and processes, and increase resilience to weather and climate-related hazards to improve safety and wellbeing of New Zealanders. For more information, visit https://niwa.co.nz/.
The New Zealand eScience Infrastructure (NeSI) facilitates access by public sector, academic and private industry researchers to NIWA and the University of Auckland's High Performance Computing (HPC) facilities. NeSI helps researchers through providing advice for 'on-boarding' to these facilities, managing data transfer and storage, as well as resolving complex computational and modelling requirements.